San Diego is a beautiful city with so much to offer that it’s hard to pick what to explore! With so many interesting attractions and activities, you can only choose from a limited number of places in this article. Get an overview of the region and find out what you should take into consideration before visiting.
The History of San Diego
The history of San Diego dates back to the early 17th century when Spanish explorers first landed on the shores of what is now present-day San Diego. The area was then known as La Jolla, and it served as a small fishing village until 1542, when Juan Rodríguez Cabrillo claimed the land for Spain and established the first European settlement in what is now California. Over the years, San Diego has evolved into one of the most popular tourist destinations in the United States, thanks to its warm weather, incredible beaches, thriving cultural scene, and rich history.
San Diego is home to some of America’s most iconic landmarks, including Balboa Park, which features world-renowned museums such as the Museum of Modern Art and the Natural History Museum; Old Town San Diego State Historic Park; and USS Midway Museum. Additionally, there are numerous attractions located throughout downtown such as SeaWorld® park and Gaslamp Quarter®, which features more than 120 shops, restaurants, nightclubs and bars. Whether you’re looking for a relaxing day at the beach or an action-packed night out on town, San Diego has something for everyone!
What to Do in San Diego
If you’re looking for a destination that has it all, San Diego is the perfect place to go. From world-renowned beaches to bustling cities, there’s something for everyone in San Diego. Here are five things to do in San Diego:
- Visit the world-famous beaches of La Jolla and SD Beach Stacks. Both are known for their crystal-clear waters and stunning views.
- Catch a game at Petco Park, home of the Padres baseball team. The stadium is also situated right on the water so you can enjoy a view of the coast while watching your favorite team play.
- Explore charming downtown San Diego — it’s full of trendy shops and restaurants, as well as beautiful architecture.
- Take a trip down memory lane at Balboa Park, which features centuries-old gardens, museums, and monuments.
- See some of Southern California’s most popular attractions from the comfort of your own home by downloading the free app Expedia Tours for iPhone or Android!
How to Get Around in San Diego
- The best way to get around in San Diego is by using the public transportation system. There are buses, trains, and trolleys that will take you all around the city. You can also use the free bike rentals to explore different parts of the city.
- If you need to find a specific location, there are maps available at all subway stations and most convenience stores. You can also use Google Maps or another navigation app to help you get around.
- If you’re interested in avoiding crowds, try visiting some of the less-visited areas of San Diego. There are many scenic areas that can be found off the beaten path.
- Finally, if you’re looking for something specific but don’t know where to start, ask a local! They may be able to point you in the right direction or give you some advice on where to find what you’re searching for.
Where to Stay in San Diego
San Diego is a city with anything you need, and if you’re looking for a place to stay, there are many options available. From luxury resorts to cozy bed-and-breakfasts, here are some of the best places to stay in San Diego.
The Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Spa
This luxurious hotel offers stunning views of the Pacific Ocean from its rooftop pool and hot tub. It also has an excellent fitness center and several restaurants on site.
The Wyndham Grand San Diego Resort
This resort features plenty of activities for guests to enjoy, including kayaking, fishing, golfing, tennis and more. It has a heated pool and spa, as well as easy access to shopping, restaurants and attractions.
Posh Boutique Hotel by Marriott
This hotel is perfect for budget-minded travelers who want accommodations with style. The rooms come with air conditioning, plasma TVs and modern amenities like free Wi-Fi. There’s also a 24-hour fitness center and a heated indoor pool.
Best Western Plus Marina del Rey Inn
This inn is situated just minutes away from downtown San Diego and offers comfortable accommodations with all the amenities you need including an indoor pool, Jacuzzi tubs and satellite TV. It’s perfect for guests who want to be near all the action but still have some peace and quiet.